From: Thomas Di Nardo [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2002 1:54 PM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: RE: Slightly OT: PST policies

Have the users keep them on their local hard drive.

Put together a written policy documenting what you propose and why. Be
detailed. Document everything. It will come back to you. It might take six
months, it might take six years, but it will come back to you.

Get legal to sign-off that the users may be violating any existing, or
future, email/document retention policy the company has. You might want to
explain how much data can be kept in a PST and how long it can be kept
there, since most lawyers don't have a clue about the technical aspects. You
might also want to mention what would be involved in providing those PSTs to
a Plaintiff's lawyer should a discovery request ever be made.

Get management signoff on the fact that any data stored in PST files will be
stored on the local users' machine and will not be backed up. Don't let them
store PST files on file servers; if the data is important enough to be on a
server, it should be in an Exchange database. Explain what SIS is. Explain
how much more disk space will be used if PST's are allowed on file severs
versus an Exchange database.

There's a bunch more, but you get the gist.

My $.02.

Tom.