--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, grate.swan <no_re...@...> wrote:

> > I am in a state of amazement at the state of
> > consciousness of long-term TMers displayed on
> > this forum. *Forget* any court case about whether
> > TM is a religion...if anyone sane read the things
> > that these 3 people post they'd warn their kids
> > away from TM more strongly than they warn them
> > away from drugs.
>

> But that would be faulty reasoning on the part of the parents -- a trait and
> habit I hope they would not pass on to their kids-- since it is way more
> dangerous to them and society than TM or drugs. Three people do not make a
> reasonable sample. To the extent their behavior exceeeds social norms, they
> are huge outliers. It's aa faulty as saying "Paul, Jerry and Howard do TM and
> thus it will make me rich and famous."
>
> Its an interesting chicken and egg problem. Do we develop a hypothesis and
> then try to find data to substantiate it -- and perhaps unconsciously throw
> out data that does not support it? Or do we look at tons of data and try to
> wave a textured hypothesis that explains all the data, not just the "fun"
> stuff.
>
> The latter is harder, and way less flashy -- and doesn't make for good bar
> talk. Bummer. It can be so much fun.

Projection is an interesting concept -- explored in recent posts.
In my mind, any great put down, or compliment, is potentially projection. When
another sees extremes in others, good or bad, it raises in my mind the question
-- "how much of this is projection?"

I find there are several types of mindsets who use the "projection card". Those
who use it as a put down, and those who use it as a cautionary tale -- "I see
it in them, OMG, how much must I (or may be) projecting myslef." My observation
is that the former rarely are sufficiently self-aware to see it in themselves.
The latter, see it in others, and more so in themselves (and thus don't use
projections on to others as a vehicle for put downs.)