--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Ravi Yogi" <raviyogi@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, cardemaister <no_reply@> wrote:

> > From Bhojadeva's comment on YS II 15
> >

> > > As (yathaa) an eyeball (akSi-paatram?) experiences (anubhavati)
> > > great (mahatiim) pain (piiDaam) by mere (maatreNa) touch (sparsha)
> > > of a fiber (tantu) of wool (uurNaa), so (tathaa) a viveki "udvij-s"
> > > (see footnote 3 above) in connection (anubandhena) with even (api)
> > > a minute (svalpa) (amount of) duHkha. (That's) not (the case with)
> > > the rest of the body (na+itara-an.gaM: not other limbs).
> > >

> > It seems to me, vivekin (nom. sing: vivekii) in that suutra (II 15)
> > refers to someone who, in TM lingo, is "unstressing".
> >
> > The next suutra goes like this:
> >
> > heyaM duHkham anaagatam (II 16; tr. by Dr. Taimni)
> >
> > The misery (duHkham) which is not yet come (anaagatam)
> > can and is to be avoided (heyam).
> >
> > Suutra II 26 states:
> >
> > viveka-khyaatir aviplavaa haanopayaH (haana+upaayaH).
> >
> > I urge everyone to find their favorite translation of
> > this suutra.
> >
> > IMHO, it might describe, what's in TM lingo called "Cosmic Consciousness"
> > (turiiyaatiita[turiiya+ati+ita]-cetanaa)
> >
> > Anyhoo, there's that compound word 'viveka-khyaatiH'[sic!] which
> > proves, sort of, that 'vivekin' in II 15 can't refer to
> > a "realized" individual??
> >
> > Just for fun, note that the word 'viveka-khyaatiH' (in abl./gen.
> > sing: viveka-khyaateH[sic!]) appears also in IV 29, which
> > "introduces" dharma-megha-samaadhi, the highest(?) stage of
> > samaadhi:
> >
> > prasaMkhyaane 'py akusiidasya sarvathaa *viveka-khyaater*
> > dharma-meghaH samaadhiH.
> >

> I only know that the meaning of khyaati should be "fame" - so viveka khyaati
> could be translated as " one famed for their discriminative powers".

Is hindi (or some other Indian language
related to Sanskrit) your native language?

If that's the case, it might be a slight disadvantage
in learning Sanskrit. A bit like myself trying to translate
Estonian (which for Finns sounds like "funny" Finnish; for
Estonians Finnish sounds like "old-fashioned" Estonian)
without consulting a dictionary.

For instance, in Estonian 'kulli' (hawk's) is the possessive form
of the word 'kull' which means 'hawk'. In Finnish, 'kulli'
is vulgar for penis (cock, dick, etc.)...

khyAti  f. `" declaration "' , opinion , view , idea , assertion BhP. xi , 16 ,
24 Sarvad. xv , 201 ; ***perception , knowledge Yogas[uutra]***. Tattvas. (=
%{buddhi}) Sarvad. ; renown , fame , celebrity Mn. xii ,