wrote:

> > > From Bhojadeva's comment on YS II 15

> > > It seems to me, vivekin (nom. sing: vivekii) in that suutra (II
15)
> > > refers to someone who, in TM lingo, is "unstressing".
> > >
> > > The next suutra goes like this:
> > >
> > > heyaM duHkham anaagatam (II 16; tr. by Dr. Taimni)
> > >
> > > The misery (duHkham) which is not yet come (anaagatam)
> > > can and is to be avoided (heyam).
> > >
> > > Suutra II 26 states:
> > >
> > > viveka-khyaatir aviplavaa haanopayaH (haana+upaayaH).
> > >
> > > I urge everyone to find their favorite translation of
> > > this suutra.
> > >
> > > IMHO, it might describe, what's in TM lingo called "Cosmic
Consciousness" (turiiyaatiita[turiiya+ati+ita]-cetanaa)

> > > Anyhoo, there's that compound word 'viveka-khyaatiH'[sic!] which
> > > proves, sort of, that 'vivekin' in II 15 can't refer to
> > > a "realized" individual??
> > >
> > > Just for fun, note that the word 'viveka-khyaatiH' (in abl./gen.
> > > sing: viveka-khyaateH[sic!]) appears also in IV 29, which
> > > "introduces" dharma-megha-samaadhi, the highest(?) stage of
> > > samaadhi:
> > >
> > > prasaMkhyaane 'py akusiidasya sarvathaa *viveka-khyaater*
> > > dharma-meghaH samaadhiH.
> > >

> > I only know that the meaning of khyaati should be "fame" - so viveka
khyaati could be translated as " one famed for their discriminative
powers".

> Is hindi (or some other Indian language
> related to Sanskrit) your native language?

Yes Hindi and Telugu.
> If that's the case, it might be a slight disadvantage
> in learning Sanskrit. A bit like myself trying to translate
No its actually quite an advantage not to mention I did study Sanskrit
in school.
> Estonian (which for Finns sounds like "funny" Finnish; for
> Estonians Finnish sounds like "old-fashioned" Estonian)
> without consulting a dictionary.
>
> For instance, in Estonian 'kulli' (hawk's) is the possessive form
> of the word 'kull' which means 'hawk'. In Finnish, 'kulli'
> is vulgar for penis (cock, dick, etc.)...
This is quite common in Indian languages as well but its not the case
here.

> khyAti f. `" declaration "' , opinion , view , idea , assertion BhP.
xi , 16 , 24 Sarvad. xv , 201 ; ***perception , knowledge
Yogas[uutra]***. Tattvas. (= %{buddhi}) Sarvad. ; renown , fame ,
celebrity Mn. xii ,

Khyaati might have different meanings like any other Sanskrit word but
it does mean fame, renowned, reputed among others.
http://spokensanskrit.de/index.php?script=HK&beginning=0+&tinput=%E0%A4%\
96%E0%A5%8D%E0%A4%AF%E0%A4%BE%E0%A4%A4%E0%A4%BF&country_ID=&trans=Transl\
ate&direction=AU
<http://spokensanskrit.de/index.php?script=HK&beginning=0+&tinput=%E0%A4\
%96%E0%A5%8D%E0%A4%AF%E0%A4%BE%E0%A4%A4%E0%A4%BF&country_ID=&trans=Trans\
late&direction=AU>

<http://spokensanskrit.de/index.php?script=HK&beginning=0+&tinput=%E0%A4\
%96%E0%A5%8D%E0%A4%AF%E0%A4%BE%E0%A4%A4%E0%A4%BF&country_ID=&trans=Trans\
late&direction=AU> How would you translate Viveka Khyaati?