--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, tartbrain <no_reply@...> wrote:

categorically deny that these states of consciousness are possible for anyone
doing TM.You could even opine that TM practitioners can't go
beyond asmita because they indulge in laya during meditation.>

Almost couldn't believe my ears when I once heard 'laya' pronounced
by Maharishi as the Finnish word 'läjä' (j = y in yes; ä ~= a in cat), meaning
'a heap'. The expression 'lehmän läjä' (a cow's heap) has a somewhat
specialiced meaning:

http://tinyurl.com/6hkztgg

It's true that according to the last suutra of aSTaadhyaayii
(a a [sic!]), short a-sound in Sanskrit is somewhat reduced,
but the reduction is usually so small that I can't hear
the qualitative difference between a and aa (long a). I gather
native speakers of English might be able to hear that difference
more easily, because vowel reduction is such a prominent feature of
English.