On 6/18/2014 6:53 AM, Share Long sharelon...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife] wrote:
salyavin, why do we have to start with simplicity? It's an assumption that everyone seems to have. But those are often the best ones to question, aren't they?

Most scientists are naive realists, Share.

According to my philosophy professor, "...the last resort of the naive realist is an appeal to instruments." Because this appeal to instruments, like the appeal to other senses, to past experiences and to other persons, is a confession of failure. It is a confession that /apparently obvious objects are NOT simple or self-evident./

Western scientific ontology is complicated, while Eastern spiritual ontological notions are simple in comparison. Objects which are known do NOT exist independently of their being known. Consciousness changes everything - /we don't see or know things as they really are./

On Wednesday, June 18, 2014 1:55 AM, salyavin808 <no_re...@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Richard,

You're absolutely correct. For the same reason, Hawking and Krauss concluded that the universe created itself. How absurd can you get?

What they actually say is that it didn't need a creator as there are known physical principles that can mean matter and space are self creating. It didn't "create" itself in any sort of "this bit goes here" sort of way, you would need intelligence and planning for that which is why god concepts of whatever stripe don't explain creation because they would have to be around before. You have to start with simplicity.

On 6/17/2014 7:40 PM, jr_esq@... <mailto:jr_esq@...> [FairfieldLife] wrote:

        Many of the popular physics writers, like Hawking and Krauss,
        don't believe in including consciousness in their
        cosmological theories.  If they did, they'd realize that
        their assumptions about the beginning of the universe to be
        illogical and wrong.

        Apparently there is nothing in physics that indicates that
        there should be a human consciousness. Go figure.

        ---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
        <mailto:FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com>,
        <no_re...@yahoogroups.com> <mailto:no_re...@yahoogroups.com>
        wrote :

        Worth a read. Woomeister Chopra challenges science to explain
        consciousness with a Randi style prize. The money suggests he
        feels confident that there is no scientific solution to the
        hard problem of consciousness- in the same way that James
        Randi feels confident there is no paranormal.

        The trouble for Chopra is that, while no one has managed to
        demonstrate even a tiny morsel of magical powers, we know
        quite a lot about consciousness already.

        Here's hoping for a swift solution to the hard problem as
        he's one bullshit artist I'd like to see with some egg on his
        face. And a million bucks would be a lot of egg.....

        Deepak Chopra embarrasses himself by offering a
        million-dollar prize

<http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/2014/06/16/deepak-chopra-embarrasses-himself-by-offering-a-million-dollar-prize/>

        image

<http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/2014/06/16/deepak-chopra-embarrasses-himself-by-offering-a-million-dollar-prize/>

        Deepak Chopra embarrasses himself by offering a million-...

<http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/2014/06/16/deepak-chopra-embarrasses-himself-by-offering-a-million-dollar-prize/>

        I realize now that Chopra's affliction with Maru's
        Syndrome—the condition described by Dr. Maru as "When I see a
        box, I cannot help but enter"—is ...

        View on whyevolutionistrue.wor...

<http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/2014/06/16/deepak-chopra-embarrasses-himself-by-offering-a-million-dollar-prize/>

        Preview by Yahoo