--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, akasha_108 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> > I'm not even insisting that *this* study demonstrates
> > the Maharishi Effect, though.  It's just that I've seen
> > zillions of misconceptions about how it was done,
>
> Which is interesting, since  no one is even clear on the details.

So far, most of 'em are less clear on the details
as I am, however clear that may be.  If they're making
mistakes that *I* can spot, in other words, they're
pretty gross mistakes.

Lawson (Sparaig) is better on the details.

> Was ARMIA or regreesion used.

ARIMA (not ARMIA) was used; "regression" rings a bell
too.  Ask Lawson; he may remember.

 If ARIMA was used (which I think it was) did
> they have 6 seasons of data -- a minimum for ARIMA models. What were
> the  independent variables tested? (both accepted in the model and
> those rejected). What was the actual time frame of the analysis (not
> the intervention -- we know it was 8 weeks). Mark indicated 5 year
> data was used. Some appear to suggest it was the intervention
period +
> short term control buffers on the front and back end.

Data from the past several years (not positive it was
five years; it may have been fewer) was used to "predict"
what the crime rate *would* have been had the intervention
not taken place.  The eight-week period for the year of
the intervention would have had buffers of a few weeks
fore and aft.

The other details you ask about are almost certainly
detailed in the study.  If you're really interested,
you could probably purchase an offprint from the journal.

 How was the the
> heat index constructed? etc.
>
> > accompanied by completely invalid criticisms.  If
> > somebody's going to criticize the study, they should do
> > so on the basis of how it was actually conducted, not
> > some uninformed straw-man version.
>
> Sorry, what I am proposing is not uniformed. Nor is it a strawman.

I didn't say it was.  I was explaining why I'm trying
to straighten other people out--not because I'm insisting
the study demonstrated the ME, but because criticisms
based on misunderstanding are useless.

> > Otherwise, just accept it for what it was: during an
> > eight-week period in D.C. in June and July 1993 when a
> > large World Peace Assembly was being held, there was a
> > sharp drop in the crime rate.  Maybe it was the Maharishi
> > Effect, maybe it wasn't.
>
> I think thats what i was saying. The analysis showed an effct. An
> interesting exploratory study. There are a lot of methodological
> questions, not answered -- probably because no one has a copy of the
> study. The results are inconclusive, as you say "maybe it was the
> Maharishi Effect, maybe it wasn't."
>
> I am not clear why you view a statement of an outline of what a
> credible research design would look like is inappropriate or
> creates a strawman.

I wasn't talking about you.