--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Rick Archer
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
snip

> The way I heard the story, it was the Shankaracharya, or the guy
MMY was
> propping up as the Shankaracharya (I can't begin to keep the
details of that
> whole mess straight) who suggested to MMY, during a quick trip to
India
> during the Fiuggi course, that he offer something more to the
Westerners. So
> Maharishi pulled out a copy of the Yoga Sutras and began
experimenting on
> half a dozen of the M-group types around him (I got this account
from one of
> them). The sidhis didn't come out until 1977. The 1% effect came
out when
> Domash was reigning physicist in 1974. There was a campaign in the
UK in
> which one of the slogans was "you can be one of the 99 if you can
get one of
> your friends to be the one." Square root of 1% came out soon after
the
> sidhis, and Domash or Hagelin was physicist at that point. It was
still
> Domash until about 1980. Anyway, I think the theory preceded the
research.
> In other words, the theory of 1% or square root of 1% was bandied
about
> before any societal testing was done. And Maharishi spent countless
hours
> discussing this and lecturing about it. It's not like it was
foisted on him
> by cunning physicists. As always, he was calling the shots. He was
tickled
> pink to get a theory that would absolve him from having to get 10%
of the
> world's population meditating, or even 1%. Anyway, I don't think
this
> particular point has much to do with the failure of the movement.
Although
> the advent of the sidhis sure scared off a lot of respectable folks
who were
> beginning to take it seriously.

Thanks Rick, for the History lesson, I needed it. At any rate, it
really
supports my contention that MMY has rested the entire welfare of the
TMorg's success on these bogus studies!! It's psuedo-science, it
hasn't been proven satisfactorily. Remember.."thru the window of
science".  We might as well replace Guru Dev's picture with that of
the greatest scientest of our age, the great John Hagelin!!  MMY's
biggest mistake was, is, and always will be, the Siddhi's program!