I understand that it is not reliant on believe for the ME to work. I also
think that for individuals to become more in tune with the world around them
then it means that they first have to have access to what is available within
themselves -  the good stuff - then the rest will follow in terms of a macro
effect. But I am not convinced that 1% of a population meditating has
accomplished much of anything in terms of implementing/encouraging peace on a
grand scale. On the other hand, I just haven't been paying attention to any of
this since the mid 80's so I am, no doubt, out of the loop.

 No you aren't, the concept of brains affecting each other at  a distance is no
more likely or satisfactorily explained now than it was then. It isn't about
"breaking down self imposed boundaries" It's supposed to be what happens when
meditators are near other people, it doesn't matter if they don't know the
meditators are there as it is transmitted through some unexplained medium that
is apparently unmeasurable except in how it affects others.

 That is how I understood the ME - that it is some sort of mystical, magical
effect that starts to happen when a certain percentage of the population
meditates. It is an exponential phenomenon maybe? I don't quite recollect back
from my MIU days but I kind of remember it as the individuals somehow equal
more than the sum of the parts or some such. I guess a rational person would
demand something more than the proclamation of this, would require some sort of
proof. Has that proof been provided anywhere except in the skewed statistics of
the Movement? I guess I can't get excited about whether it has or hasn't. Maybe
that is my problem.

 How can that be? If we had some evidence that it worked all we'd have to do is
work out how - which would require a complete re-write of everything we think
we know - but we don't have any decent evidence yet which is why it's goo we'll
soon have 50,000 to point at and say why isn't it working then? About. Unless
it does work in which case we'll be too happy to care.