--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Peter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>(below: Peter says E not "caused" by a physiological state. ) I
don't believe various groups of people are saying that.  They are
saying "correlation", not cause.  We can point to at least 3 known
groups of people whose supporting researchers operate on the
hypothesis of correlation:  1.  Academics - East and West Coast,
going all the way back to Dr. R.K. Wallace's "Physiology of
Meditation" in Scientific American. Numerous people followed up with
the physiological testing of "trained" meditators; in attempting to
find out what exactly, are the correlates to meditative states and
how such states differ from ordinary waking. Lately, Dr. Herbert
Benson has expanded his research into studying the effectiveness of
prayer (a different topic, for FWIW, his studies revealed a slight
negative correlation: the patients being prayed for (in the group
told about it), faired slightly worse than the other two groups.
  A second body of researchers testing the physiological correlation
hypothesis is of course MUM; and apart from some "fudging" that we
might expect on any statistics coming from MUM; I think (IMO) that
there's a sufficiently large body of statistics from all combined
souurces to support MMY's statement that "for every state of
Consciousness, there's a corresponding physiological state".  Note
that MMY never said "caused".  This could be a chicken and egg
question.
 A third group of people are Tibetan monks in various sects, who
have been urged by the Dalai Lama to participate in studies
investigating the connection between states of Consciousness in
experienced meditators, and corresponding physiological states.
  The fact that an Enlightened person can jump up and down and yell
demonstrates nothing at all; since he/she may have passed through the
correlative states accompanying CC, GC, and UC, before BC.; and only
shows that the person is sufficiently integrated so that she can
particupate in intense physical activities without any loss of
integration.
 One of the problems in testing the hypothesis (ref to MMY's
statement incorporating the word "corresponding" - i.e. a
correlation) is that there may not be enough E'd people around to
satisfy academic demands for what's reasonable in terms of
statistics.  Surely, just a few people would be insufficient.
  Now, in regard to those people either a. claiming that physiology
is totally irrelevant, or b. just ignoring physiology altogether; we
could easily point to the Neo-Advaitins and their founders: Ramana
Maharshi, Nisargadatta Maharaj, HWL Poonja, Gangaji, etc; but
although Adi Da might be considered a Neo-Advaitin, he definitely
supports the practice of various sadhanas designed to purify the
body, and on many occasions, he uses expressions using the
terms "bodily purification".
  Perhaps somebody more familiar with Ken Wilber can bring up some of
his statements regarding this - the question of any physiological
correlate to states of Consciousness.