Comment below:
**

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "jyouells2000" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Mason" <premanandpaul@>
> wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone have a copy of the photograph that t3rinity is referring
> > to? It is to the left of MMY on page 53 of 'Thirty Years Around the
> > World'. It looks like the photo that the puja portrait was painted
> > from. An in-transit picture is at:-
> > http://www.paulmason.info/gurudev/sources/text/GuidingLight.htm
>
> I thought that the puju portrait  was painted  by  Dr. Varma ,
> Maharishi's  uncle.
>
> JohnY

**Snip to End**

The portrait of Guru Dev that we received as initiators was signed by
M.T.V. Acharya.  I had always heard Dr. Varma referred to as Raj
Varma, which I assumed was his name but could be just an honorific.
So, depending on what Dr. Varma's name was, M.T.V. Acharya could be
him and then Acharya would be a designation that he was at a high
level of achievement as an artist.

However, I don't believe that's the case at all, inasmuch as the
styles between this portrait and all of Dr. Varma's other portraits
are so radically different.  Dr. Varma was a self-taught artist and
all his paintings show elements characteristic of the auto-didact:
problems with perspective, irregularities of scale, confusions between
color and value, etc.  The portrait we received for puja is a painting
on top of a photo of Guru Dev (the same photo which can be found at
Paul Mason's site, near the bottom of the opening page, among the
quotes and reproduced in blue) and it seems that there are several
different, earlier versions before the one we were given.

This photo image of Guru Dev is likely the one that Maharishi used to
color in when he was first heading south and began to teach.  Since
Dr. Varma was a photographer and photo retoucher, it's not unlikely
that Maharishi would have had familiarity with and access to the photo
retouching inks that he used in his profession.

All of Dr. Varma's paintings of Guru Dev also utilize the same 3/4
pose of Guru Dev's body from that same photo; only in Dr. Varma's
official portraits of Guru Dev on the lion throne he positions the
head of Guru Dev so that it's a full frontal.  An interesting (and not
ineffective) technique but also very typical of what you'd expect of a
self-taught artist.  In the later years when Dr. Varma was just
churning these paintings out they began to look quite grotesque with
the head of Guru Dev becoming quite large relative to the body's
proportions and sort of sinking down into the body so that the image
had a kind of hunchbacked effect.  Very much different from the erect,
yet comfortable posture that Guru Dev always seems to abide in as
shown in all the photos we have so far.

Before I sent this I looked for and found a photo of a portrait of
Maharishi painted by Dr. Varma sometime in the 80's.  In the lower
right hand corner of the image he has signed it Raj R.P. Varma.  So
that seems to conclusively prove that he didn't do the standard puja
portrait.  I'll upload a copy of that image to the files later.