--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Irmeli Mattsson"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<snip>
> In my opinion the pope addresses this issue in the speech relatively
> tactfully by a quotation of the issue that he sees to be at the core
> of the problem.

Just so we know what we're talking about here,
this is the quotation that has angered Muslims
(from an AP report on Yahoo! News):

"In his speech on Tuesday, Benedict quoted from a book recounting a
conversation between 14th century Byzantine Christian Emperor Manuel
Paleologos II and an educated Persian on the truths of Christianity
and Islam.

"'The emperor comes to speak about the issue of jihad, holy war,' the
pope said. 'He said, I quote, "Show me just what Muhammad brought
that was new, and there you will find things only evil and inhuman,
such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached."'"

Whatever the truth of the last part of the sentence
(and it's not quite the slam-dunk some seem to think),
it's the first part that is so offensive to Muslims:
the only new things Muhammad brought were evil and
inhuman.  It's not hard to grasp why that has aroused
such fury.  Imagine the wrath of Christians if a non-
Christian were to say the only new things Jesus brought
were evil and inhuman, citing, say, Jesus' instruction
to hate one's father and mother!

The big problem was that the pope *did not repudiate*
the offensive part of the quote.  He could have made
his point about violent jihad just as well if he'd
said to start with that he didn't condone the first
part.

It's too bad that slip (among others, but that was the
worst) was so inflammatory that it was hard to hear
the rest of what he said dispassionately.

And he *still* hasn't apologized for it.  All he's
said is that he was sorry Muslims were offended by
it.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: