> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "jim_flanegin" <jflanegi@>
> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "jim_flanegin"
<jflanegi@>
> > > wrote:
> > > <snip>
> check
> with
> > >
> > > Not urging you to bother with anything you don't
> > > find of interest, but I'd suggest that if you
> > > aren't following the discussions fairly closely,
> > > you aren't really in a position to say whether
> > > there are any "specific points and justifications."
> > >
> > Its iconic is all, and with iconic phenomena, I tend to move
from
> > studying and listening closely, to surfing the flavor or essence
of
> > what is going on, and to me what is going on between you and
Barry
> > transcends any specific points you or he have made, and becomes
> > more the phenomenon of the two of you constantly interacting.
> > Almost like music.
> >
> > Are you familiar with the Talking Head's album, 'Remain In
Light'?
> > There is a track on that record called "Once In A Lifetime". The
> > lyrics are pretty good, and yet the song is put together in such
> > way that you really can't distinguish what is more important to
the
> > listener, the words or the music- they go together seamlessly,
and
> > so it is with the ongoing Barry/Judy or Judy/Barry dialogue; its
> > not just the words anymore, its the whole song.
>
> I'm not familiar with the song.  I have no problem
> with your "music" metaphor.  I'm just saying that
> if you're paying more attention to the music and
> haven't really buckled down to grasp what we're
> saying to each other, you're missing the reason
> the music exists in the first place.  And as I noted,
> you really aren't in a position to say the content
> is insignificant.
>
> It's like going to an opera in a foreign language
> without having studied the libretto beforehand, or
> without reading the subtitles many opera houses
> provide these days.  If you don't want to be bothered,
> that's fine, the music alone is worth the time.  But
> it would then be silly to claim the plot and lyrics
> are irrelevant to the opera as a whole.
>
> That's not to say that some operas with great music
> don't have idiotic plots and mediocre lyrics. But
> you can't tell the difference if you aren't paying
> attention to them.
>
> I have a friend who liked some of Wagner's orchestral
> music, like the "Ride of the Valkyries," but found
> the operas themselves noisy and boring.  I talked him
> into getting a video of "Die Walkure" that had subtitles,
> and he just about flipped.  He had had no idea of the
> psychological, emotional, and spiritual depth that
> was behind all that music he'd found so noisy and
> boring.
>
> (Not in any way comparing the quality of the music *or*
> the lyrics in my exchanges with Barry to Wagner's
> magnificent operas, just massaging the metaphor a bit.)

Point taken. However I *did* read what you two had to say to each
other for many many months- all of it- and aside from me agreeing
with you that Barry has specific deficiencies or me agreeing with
Barry that you do, I'd rather just let the music continue and see
where it goes. Its actually pretty fascinating from a karmic
standpoint, considering that you've not met each other, at least not
recently...

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: