--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, new.morning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "jim_flanegin" <jflanegi@>
wrote:

> > > Hi, hovering has nothing to do with enlightenment. It is an
> > > indication of a clear channel within the human nervous system,
> > > though not an indicator of Self Realization. Whether or not we
> > > can manifest results of the Patanjali Yoga sutras or not has
> > > nothing to
> > > do with the complete freedom and lack of boundaries that we live
> > > when Self Realization dawns.
> >
> > Well said. I agree on all points.
> >
> > > The sutras are indications of the
> > > clarity needed to live an enlightened state and indications of
> > > good progress to that end.
> >
> > I am not sure I agree with the "indications of good
> > progress" thing, but I'm fine with other people
> > believing it.
> >
> > > But they are not indications of enlightenment.
> >
> > Yup. I would go so far as to say that IMO there is
> > no relationship whatsoever between one's enlightenment
> > and one's ability to perform the siddhis. Interestingly
> > enough, this is what I remember *Maharishi* teaching
> > back in the early days of the TM movement. Does anyone
> > else hear remember him saying that at the early Tahoe
> > courses?
>
> I don't remember him saying that at Squaw Valley 68. And
> apparnetly we were in the same room. You heard something.
> I didn't. Who are you going to believe? :)

Why me, of course. :-)

I actually have no memory of a specific talk, but
I'm pretty sure he taught this in the early days,
because I faithfully parroted it once I became a
TM teacher, and I was such a TB that I *never* said
anything I hadn't heard from him, either in person
or on tape. Also, there is no other tradition I had
studied at that time from which it could have come.

I do remember being shocked the first time I heard
on a.m.t. that he had begun saying that the ability
to perform the siddhis indicated enlightenment. I
was shocked because I have a visceral memory of
him saying the opposite several times.

Then again, have you ever read another student's
"class notes?" They were exactly like yours, and
you both heard exactly the same things, right? :-)