Rösberg, Thu 21.11.02
Bart,

an interesting answer, but the wrong thread! ;-)

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002 21:42:03 -0500 (EST), Bart Oldeman wrote:
BO> On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Axel C. Frinke wrote:
AF>> I don't understand this. Can't you use CHCP to switch between
AF>> codepages?
BO> The problem is that many DOS apps write directly to video memory and
BO> expect the box drawing characters to be at certain places.

Yes, but programs assuming codepage 437 can always be a problem.

BO> For instance,
BO> B3  179    9474  BOX DRAWINGS LIGHT VERTICAL
BO> is at 179 for cp437, cp850, cp860, cp866 and others too, but not for
BO> ISO8859-x.

Yes, but...

BO> with cp850 vs. cp437 you already lose the mixed double/single box drawing
BO> characters, but these aren't used as often as the non-mixed ones.

I don't think so! Consider a programm which displays a table with
different box styles for 'inner' and 'outer' lines. Under cp850, the
'junctions' will already look weird.

I think, your mail is a good answer to Henrique's posting some days ago: