Wow! A lot happened since I left work last night! I think Beth said it
correctly, that we are all a bunch of crazy cat ladies (and a few men). I
think that because our passions run so high for these kitties, that we are
all the more passionate about these issues. I'm glad to see that people are
sticking to the issues at hand and not attacking in personal ways, but I
think this argument has come to the point that no one is going to budge, so
it's kind of a stalemate, at an impasse. I feel very strongly about this
issue as well (declawing), and I think that there is a middle ground here
for all of us to agree on without compromising our views in any way. As
Susan said, change is made by little steps.

Those of the "never declaw camp" and those of the "do what we can" camp can
both agree that change is necessary because neither way is a solution. So,
instead of wasting all our energy on arguing (and it is exhausting), focus
that energy toward education and awareness. Take the information from those
websites (pawproject and the other one that someone posted), and use it to
make literature to distribute. Talk to people off this list about how to
train cats. I think many people are so devastatingly uninformed when it
comes to the furniture issue. Although mine is scratched, it is not ugly or
destroyed. It just takes education. The next time someone is shocked that
your kitties are not declawed and says, "What about the furniture?!" tell
him/her about the ways to prevent it. Even if that person doesn't have a
cat, perhaps he/she knows someone with cats or who's thinking about getting
a kitty. Maybe your information will influence someone down the road to
request a kitty with claws or to pass on the info. We really need to put the
information out there and let it work through people. We can all agree on
that.

Melissa

  _____