Glenda,

  In my approximately 10 years on this list I have never heard of a cat with
fiv 'catching' felv from a mixed situation.  Now cats do test initially
sometimes for both.  But I have had fiv cats mixed with felv with no problem.

  It's not a perfect world, and Sherry and Crash's Landing do so much good that
I think you should calm down on the heavy judgements.

  Those who have been on this list for a long time, and many who have left,
have already had this discussion with Sherry.  People agree and disagree.  But
I don't think anyone feels that Dr. Jen is doing a wonderful thing trying to
save as many of these cats as she can.

  And Sherry, who also deals with each loss, doesn't need such negative
feedback.
  tonya

glenda Goodman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Sherry,
She is absolutely beautiful. I have to tell you, when
I realized the thinking behind how your shelter, where
you volunteer, with the declawing policy and reading
about the section for the special needs kitties I
thought I would ask if the FIV+ kitties were mixed
with the FeLV+ kitties. I do not think I am
surprised...
Sherry I am trying to control my emotions ,but I have
to tell you I am scared to death for these two groups
of cats. I am believing/hoping your girl Mystique is
vaccinated...that could help, but she is at terrible
risk. Her immune system is already compromised by the
FIV. I cannot implore you strongly enough to please
get her out of Crash'slanding ASAP!
You have been lucky with your FIV kitties and
especially with your kitty who threw the FIV. When I
read about the beautiful Mystique, I felt relieved
that she was only FIV+. I felt you would have good
luck with her and she might live a pretty normal life.
The fact she is in a situation where she can contract
the FeLV virus any day now, is making me a little
crazy...I worry about her and everyone else in that
environment...and what about the kitties that might
possibly be able one day, to throw one of the viruses
or the other? What chance do any of them really
have...They are at huge risk of getting THE OTHER
virus. There has to be a way to seperate the two
groups. FIV+ kitties have such a better chance , but
here they are almost certainly, over time going to
become FeLV+ too.
You need to get Mystique out of there. You should have
her tested for both FIV and FeLV, just so you know,
what you will be dealing with. Then have her tested
again in 4-6 months. If she is FeLV- you are both
blessed. If I were you, I'd want to know, for myself,
if she is really FIV+.
Crash'slanding comes across beautifully on it's intro
page and it is set up well to navigate through. The
kitties are beautiful. Their stories are well written
and touching. This is a nokill shelter, right? The way
it appears to me, is a showplace type of place, that
collects cats, donations ,but seriously needs to
become a bit more cat- friendly...Besides taking in
these cats, are they really doing what is best for
each cat? If they cannot seperate the FIV+ cats from
the FeLV+ cats they should only be dealing with cats
with one disease or the other disease and let another
shelter deal with the other...
Do they get a lot of volunteers as sweet as you? Well,
they are lucky if they do. Nobody is driving a
cadillac are they...bad joke, sorry.
I have one FeLV+ cat in my household of 7-cats. All my
cats are vaccinated. Yet I am very, very careful my
negatives do not come into contact with my one
positive, little girl. If I found out I had a FIV+ cat
in my household I would possibly allow him to continue
as always with his brothers, but if anyone were to
turn up FeLV+ it is quarantine time. FIV is a far
easier disease to deal with.
I'm in the process of having all my guys tested again,
because my guys do get outside at times, supervised,
as they are and as confident as I am they have not run
into any positive, strange kitties out there, I still
believe in knowing their health status every year or
so...This, because I do not believe in putting any of
my kitties in harm's way. If I were perfect, they
would never get outside, at ever, but I love for them
to have fun in the yard...I get weak when they beg...I
am a bad mommy for that, but I take that risk for the,
quality of life, argument...
Well, I have done enough damage for one day...Sherry,
thank you. And please do not hate me, because ...I do
not trust people...
Love and best wishes from Nebraska,
Glenda
--- Sherry DeHaan wrote:

> Hi Glenda,isn't she georgeous!!! :) We do not
> separate the felv and the fiv.I wish we had the
> space to do so.Until I become one of those crazy cat
> ladies that win the lottery it will have to do!! :)
> I myself have 3 fiv+ boys and one boy that tested
> felv+ when he first arrived to Sids and then 1 1/2
> years later tested negative for anything.Then I
> brought Genevieve home back in April,she was felv+.I
> risked it because my heart told me to bring that
> baby girl home to love her as much as possible.AND I
> DID!! I am getting choked up just writing about
> her.It will be 4 weeks tomorrow since she left us.
> :(
> You did not offend me in anyway,I just get a bit
> uneasy when it comes to that subject.
> Thank you for checking out the fur kids.
> Sherry and her fur baby boys
> Rafferty,CousCous,Xander and Tristan
>
> glenda Goodman wrote:
> Sherry,
> I just clicked Mystique. My computer got stuck
> earlier...Anyway , she seems like an excellent
> little
> girl to have in your home...She will take your pain
> away and fill your heart. I see that she is FIV, but
> not FeLV+. Does Crash'slanding seperate their FIV+
> kitties from their FeLV+
> kitties ? Taking care of her should be very easy and
> rewarding...She could have a long life with you.
> As for this organization, I will say, their layout
> and every cat is beautiful. My heart is just
> stretching out of my chest for them. Bless your
> heart,
> Sherry, for all you do. I am very sorry I get a
> little
> up in the air over certain issues. Please believe
> me,
> I never mean to hurt anyone's feelings or make
> anyone
> uncomfortable...YOU are an angel... I know we all do
> the best we can with what we can and we all feel the
> same things, love, compassion, tenderness for these
> guys in need.
> "The more need they have, the more we feel."
> I do love the people here too, because they are just
> so special. I should be so good as to be doing what
> you do.
> Love from Nebraska, Glenda
> --- Sherry DeHaan wrote:
>
> > Hi Glenda thank you for checking out Crashs.I
> first
> > of all want to say that I too am not one for
> > declawing!! As some of our rescue cats do come in
> > already declawed and yes they are declawed if they
> > are not too old.As much as I hate to say it,people
> > (unlike you and I) would prefer to adopt cats
> > already declawed. :( Also think about over 100
> cats
> > living under the same roof.Most get along but
> there
> > could be many bad wounds from fights. Like I said
> > believe as does Jen the lady that runs the places
> > that ALOT of cats are discarded out into the
> streets
> [...]

Catch up on fall's hot new shows on Yahoo! TV. Watch previews, get listings,
and more!
http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/3658