Sharyl,
Thank you for your input, I'd like to add that most kitties initially don't like to be assist fed, this does not in most cases mean they are ready to die. The process of not eating is a very vicious cycle. When a cat doesn't feel good OR can't smell their food, they most likely will not eat, even if they are no where near dying. A cat with a bad URI may very well stop eating, I just went through this with a stray my sister was feeding in her back yard. Kitty hadn't eaten for a couple of days, I started her on antibiotics and in 2 more days she started eating a little, then more as the antibiotics worked to clear up her URI. If she hadn't started eating on her own I would have syringe fed her, she couldn't smell her food and wanted to eat but wouldn't. Once she could smell again and was feeling a little better she started eating again.

When a cat is sick, they don't feel like eating, same as when a person is sick, I have been sick enough several times in my life that food was the last thing I wanted. Difference is for people not eating for a few days is not life threatening, for a cat it very well can be. The longer a cat goes with out food the worse they feel and weaker they get, the worse they feel the less they want food ... you can see where this is going.

Syringe feeding a cat who has for whatever reason lost their appetite is not torture, it can be a life-saver. I've had 3 cats I have had to syringe feed, including Fred my CRF cat. He has been CRF for 3 years and in the beginning while we were trying to get him regulated, he stopped eating enough, he was eating but not enough. I syringe fed him 100cc or more a day, he hated it. After a few weeks I decided to get a feeding tube put in to minimize the stress for both of us. He is alive and well today, he is thinner, and his disease is progressing and it is terminal and at some point nothing I do will help, but for now he is alive and doing pretty well.

Many cats with cancer end up being syringe fed or with feeding tubes, I have had 2 of these myself, both would have died sooner if not for the syringe feeding and eventual feeding tubes. Buddie's quality of life was very good her extra year, Bailey my positive not as good, because he had constant diarrhea but except for that it wasn't horrible and if we could have figured out what was going on with him before it was too late ... he developed and died of undiagnosed pancreatic cancer.

I personally will go to extremes if there is even a slim chance of keeping my furkids going, you can't diagnose or find the correct treatment for a dead pet, it is what I expect to be done for me. This is my personal opinion and way of thinking and everyone has to make their own decisions as to how far they will go, for me it is as far as possible ... I have seen and heard of some miraculous turn-arounds and that is why I feel the way I do.

ANY decision made out of love for your furbaby can not be wrong, you must do what you are comfortable with, our furkids know whatever we do or don't do is because we love them and want to do the best we can for them.

--

Belinda
happiness is being owned by cats ...

http://bemikitties.com