It feels like it sometimes but no.  I run a small rescue.  We average around
150 adoptions a year and have the cats in various foster homes.  Here's our
petfinder site:  http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/CA1136.html

I usually take older kittens, teenagers and adults at my house.  Some seniors
and special needs types too.  The foster homes are usually more into the tiny
kittens.

I do wind up sanctuarying some of the harder to place cats, or at the very
least fostering them for a long time till the right home is found.  I've had
some for 12-18 months before they were adopted.  I also have a weakness for
Siamese and will take more risks with older feral or undersocialized Siamese.
May take a year to tame them for adoption but, hey, they're gorgous and
eventually I do manage to place them.

Our senior girl who just passed away from a grey and white tuxedo who had been
with us 9 years.  She showed up 9 years ago, starving and hugely pregnant.  We
took her in and kept her.  She was at least 15 on Monday when she went to the
bridge, possibly older.  I know we did right by her all the years that she was
with us and I'm glad she was here so long.  Gave her plenty of time to forget
her former life that had left her in such bad straits by the time she found us.