We just PTS one of our geriatric cats on Monday.  I had a little stash of
torb-val syrup on hand and gave that to her Sunday and Monday morning.  She had
been in renal failure for more than a year but somewhere between Friday night
and Saturday morning it looks like she had a stroke.  It looked like she was
paralyzed on one side of her body.  On Saturday she was still drinking water
but not eating, on Sunday she did not want water either.

I was surprised she was still with us Monday morning, actually raising her head
when I came to check on her.  She was still present in her body but just
barely.  I'm sure that it was time to help her to the bridge.  I have no idea
how stressful a "natural" death might have been for her.

We almost PTS last fall but then some antibiotics and fluids rallied her and
she had 6 or 8 really good months, frail though she was.  Last fall would have
been much too soon but I worry that Sunday would have been better than Monday
to PTS. It was a matter of vet availability and cost.  Hate it when decisions
have to be made on that basis.