Since it takes 2 to 4 weeks after exposure for the virus to circulate in the bloodstream, chances are that the kittens are infected if the mother cat is truly infected with the virus. You will not know if the mother is truly infected with the virus until you do more testing. You can test for FELV at any age so if you want to know if the kittens have the virus, have them tested for FELV. If it were me, I would test the mother cat via the ELISA test sent to the lab, then do the IFA test. Many of us in rescue have and continue to get false positive readings for the FELV/FIV snap combo test. I see absolutely no reason to separate the kittens from their mother. If mom is infected, then it is likely that kittens have been exposed to the virus since birth or in-vitro.
--- On Fri, 3/18/11, Maureen Olvey <molvey...@hotmail.com> wrote: From: Maureen Olvey <molvey...@hotmail.com> Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Any advice appreciated. To: email@example.com Date: Friday, March 18, 2011, 2:27 PM Now I have a question and need advice. My rescue just took in a mama cat and 4 young kittens that are still nursing. Just our luck the mama cat tested positive for FeLV. My recommendation was not to put any of them down, but to wait a few months to see what happens. Maybe the mama cat can kick the virus. My question is about the kittens. I know they have probably already gotten the virus from the mama cat, but is there any chance at all that they haven't gotten it? One vet said maybe we should separate the kittens from the mama just in case they haven't picked the virus up yet. What do you guys think? Would that be possible - for them not to have it already, I mean? I know since the kittens are only about 4 weeks old their chances aren't too good but we want to do the best we can for them and save them if possible. We've got people that can bottle feed if they need to be taken from the mom. But I don't want to separate them if there's no point to it. What do you guys think? Also, seems like I've heard you guys mentioning vitamins. Was it B vitamins? Would that be a good idea for the mama cat? “I am not interested to know whether vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn’t….the pain which it inflicts upon unconsenting animals is the basis of my enmity toward it, and it is to me sufficient justification of the enmity without looking further.” – Mark Twain > From: drosenfe...@wi.rr.com > To: firstname.lastname@example.org > Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 18:39:13 -0500 > Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Any advice appreciated. > > Generally spay/neuter is a good idea in most cases -- much less > uncomfortable for the cat, since heat is usually excruciating for them. But > this is a reason you should seek out a vet familiar with FeLV -- they should > be able to judge whether Amber would be too stressed by the procedure, or > figure out ways that she won't be (kitty Prozac?). > > Diane R. > > _______________________________________________ Felvtalk mailing list Felvtalk@felineleukemia.org http://felineleukemia.org/mailman/listinfo/felvtalk_felineleukemia.org _______________________________________________ Felvtalk mailing list Felvtalk@felineleukemia.org http://felineleukemia.org/mailman/listinfo/felvtalk_felineleukemia.org