Not that new. I live in a rural area now and have known about lazers for several years. At least one practise here has spent the money for one. A lot of vets are using it for spays and neuters because it cuts down on bleeding and recovery time. They are also using it on declaws which has really improved them (I know there are different opinions and different circumstances but if you have to do it, do it with the least pain to the cat as possible).