I live in the middle of the woods so we have coyotes, raccoons, and possum all
around us.  For that reason, I do not let my babies out at night.  They usually
go out for an hour in the morning and then are content to stay in the rest of
the day.  Even then, they mostly stay on the deck or very close to the house.
We have not had a problem so far.  Even when my mountain lion showed up at deer
season, he never bothered my cats.  I think he was feeding on a couple of bucks
that hunters wounded and never tracked down to put them out of their misery.
He usually stays around for 2 or 3 weeks and then moves on.  He crosses our
road about 50 yards from the house on a deer crossing.  Just in case, the first
time I see him, I kep the cats in.  Of course, I also keep them in to protect
them from the hunters.