I have never heard of it, but what I have just read on several sites, Sevin
powder sounds very dangerous and is definitely poisonous!
Diatomaceous earth is not, it's just an irritant when inhaled.  One can also
use the food grade diatomaceous earth to control worms in cats by mixing it
into the food once in a while.

How to Kill Fleas With Sevin

Killing flea populations is easy with Sevin Dust. This product works on a
variety of insects and is very effective in controlling fleas. The active
ingredient in Sevin Dust is carbaryl, an insecticide that kills over one
hundred insect species. Sevin Dust can be sprinkled in the yard on your
lawn, and also on fruit and vegetable bearing trees and plants as well as
shade trees, bushes and ornamental type plants. Some people put Sevin Dust
on window sills to keep fleas from coming inside their homes. Sevin Dust is
a highly poisonous product so care must be taken when handling it. It is not
recommended that you use Sevin Dust on your pets, even though some people
do.

Difficulty:EasyInstructions
Things You'll Need
Sevin Dust
Gloves
Mask
Goggles
Shaker bottle

1  Read the instructions and warnings on the product packaging. Sevin Dust
is a poison. While it has been approved for use, you do not want the dust on
your skin or in your eyes. More importantly, it is easy to inhale Sevin Dust
as the powder is very fine. Wear a mask while working with this product.

2  Decide what areas you want to treat. Because Sevin Dust is so versatile,
you can sprinkle it anywhere in your yard. The caution is that Sevin Dust is
a wide spectrum insecticide, meaning it kills many different types of
insects. While you may not like fleas in your yard, other insects are
beneficial. Insects are killed when they ingest it, so put Sevin only in the
places where you know the fleas are, and out of places that beneficial
insects such as lady bugs inhabit.

3  Sprinkle Sevin Dust on the areas you wish to treat. Put it into your
shaker bottle. Now shake the Sevin Dust on the areas you want treated. If
you have fleas coming into your home, treat the perimeter of your home by
sprinkling Sevin Dust where your home's foundation and ground meet. Place
Sevin Dust at the base of any doorways, being careful not to get it inside
the door frame. Lastly, sprinkle Sevin Dust on your lawn.

4  Wash your hands thoroughly with warm water and soap when you are
finished. Also discard your mask, or if it is plastic, rinse it off. Change
clothes and put your used clothing into the washing machine.

Tips & Warnings
Use a container that has a shaker on top. The product is very fine, like
talcum powder, so a shaker enables you to put Sevin Dust exactly where it is
needed.

Sevin Dust is a poison. Use with caution and be careful not to inhale the
dust. If by accident you ingest Sevin Dust or get it in your eyes, contact a
physician immediately.

Read more: How to Kill Fleas With Sevin | eHow.com
http://www.ehow.com/how_4449090_kill-fleas-sevin.html#ixzz1Nxgaamtd