Sorry to stray into this area, but we were on this thread:

My solution to this came in 1985, when I read a Rodale book by a reporter
whose experience, while writing about all the animal issues from fur to
veganism, was to become vegetarian himself.  I looked at our dogs and cats,
and wondered why I wouldn't wear their fur..so I gave away my lousy fur
coat.  Then I read about factory farms, and again, looked at our animals,
and thought, gee, chickens are adorable and intelligent, cows have the most
beautiful big expressive brown eyes, etc. - that spring, I went cold-turkey,
along with my husband.  When I was little, we used to live on a farm in
Austria in the Alps over the summers, I made friends with chickens, a cow, a
horse, a pig named Susie, and when the farmer had to send the cow for
slaughter because she stopped producing enough milk, he cried. I also saw a
goat slaughtered at the adjacent farm, and all those pleasant and unpleasant
memories flooded my mind. That was the easiest decision to make, but the
worst time because being vegetarian then was so much harder than it is now.
Just as much terror and abuse of animals is present in the chicken, turkey,
pig production as for beef, it just takes a different form.

Unfortunately, I'm not too keen on Temple Grandin, as you can imagine.it
could be a lot better, and the problem is that the majority of slaughter
houses don't even use her methods.too expensive.they care only about the
bottom line, no matter how they treat the animals, whether in the factory,
in transport, the "dead pile", and the methods of slaughter..Amen!