Thank you for this info - we have 5 FIV+ cats, and two of them have
stomatitis.one seriously, one just a little!

From: felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org
[mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf Of Tad Burnett
Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2011 1:38 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Fletch

[Attachment(s) from Ben Lehrer included below]

I've got an FIV+ cat (Pasha) on the cocktail and can answer this.

The stomatitis cocktail was developed by the late Dr. Bob Wiggs at his
clinic (Dallas Animal Dental) in Dallas.  The actual mix of ingredients is
proprietary so nobody other than its makers actually know its components and
their proportions, but it is basically a holistic mix of non-steroidal,
non-controlled substances.  I first heard about it from a Yahoo Group
dedicated to feline stomatitis
(http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Feline-Stomatitis/) where a number of
people have reported positive results from its use.  I am attaching a fact
sheet about the cocktail, which was created by one the members of that Yahoo
Group.

Dr. Wiggs passed away last year and my understanding is that while his
estate is sorted out, the cocktail's availability will be somewhat limited
as the rights to the proprietary mix haven't been completely settled.  I
think that it was his wish to see the cocktail made more readily available
to help cats suffering from stomatitis and so presumably it will eventually
be easier to obtain and perhaps might even be produced locally rather than
centrally in Dallas.  Time will tell on that one.

I was informed that the formulation for FIV+ cats is slightly different than
for FIV-negative cats.

Pasha, an 8-year old lifelong FIV+ cat with caudal stomatitis and tongue
ulcers so horrendously bad that his vet looks at me knowingly while
fingering the bottle of euthasol every time I bring him in, has been on it
for about six weeks.  I've been taking pictures of his mouth to monitor the
progress.  I can't really say it's had any positive impact, unfortunately.
Initially, it seemed like it was helping - after about 2 weeks the
inflammation had been reduced and his tongue looked better.  But at 3 weeks
both came back with a vengeance and he looks awful.  His appetite has been a
little better nonetheless, but he's not gained any weight.  His most recent
labs also weren't all that encouraging. I'm going to keep at it since I've
exhausted pretty much all of the other treatment options.  This doesn't mean
it doesn't work; it just means that it doesn't work on 100% of cats.  Other
people with FIV+ cats on the Stomatitis group have made favorable reports.

The cocktail costs around $45/month, and the clinic does require that
bloodwork be periodically reported so there are other ongoing costs you
could expect to incur as well.

When I get around to it, I'll upload some pictures to show what I'm talking
about.

- Ben