My bf and I take care of over 140 feral/homeless cats on the streets
everyday (in over 20 different spots), 365 days a year for several years
now, they are spayed and neutered/vaccinated, treated for illnesses as much
as we are able (including going to far lengths both
medically/financially--when not unkind given their temprament, some are
friendly or close--and far lengths to trap them in drainpipes or wherever
they might be if they are ill and difficult to trap).  We have treated
colonies successfully for scabies both multiple cats at a time or
individual ones, we have a friendly feral in our bathroom right now
recovering (very well!) from liver disease.  We have brought in CRF cats to
live out their lives, unblocked ferals and continued them healthfully with
dietary management and supplements.

I live in Florida where fortunately, weather is pretty easy on the cats--it
is unfortunately also why there are so many feral cats down here, they can
reproduce year round due to the climate, and, the climate of course doesn't
"control" the population otherwise either.

I have known about Caboodle Ranch since 2007, back when there were far
fewer cats (150 or less I think) and many of my contacts went there with
good reports.  It seemed to me in the last couple of years from the things
I was hearing that there were problems.   Caboodle Ranch took in many feral
cats from situations/rescuers in Florida who's colonies were otherwise
facing death/extermination; they also took in many friendly pets from
people who, for whatever reason, were no longer 'able' (or willing, my
guess in most cases) to care for them.  To me, that would account for the
400 who the ASPCA says (probably correct) were dying for attention and went
right into carriers.

I am not sticking up for Caboodle, nor the other side, but I would love for
even some sort of a misdemeanor neglect/cruelty/stupidity charge to be
brought on every person who dumped their friendly pet there, thinking that
for $150, they were going to get the love, attention and medical care
needed amongst hundreds of others that they themselves were apparently not
either willing or able to provide to them on a one-on-one (or two or ten--I
doutbt these people had 700 cats) basis.

It sucks that we rescuers are dealing with such large volumes and many life
and death choices.  Since the people on this group are people who chose
life for FELV+ cats (which even some rescuers might not), I would hope that
choosing to spay/neuter (TNR) and care for a feral cat for their life on
the streets would be an act that is respected (there are people who believe
that not euthanizing an FELV is cruel as well, unfortunately, or even
believe it's wrong for them to "take homes from healthy cats"--an opinion
that really bothers me). We are choosing life for these feral cats, making
their lives better, and ensuring they do not contribute to the
overpopulation problem. It is a lifetime commitment, some may not do a very
good job at it just like some owners do not.  We are making the best of a
bad situation, and actually doing something to fight the overpopulation
problem that results not only in so many living on or being born on the
streets, but then also ending up in shelters.  The way I see it you are
either part of the problem or part of the solution.  Whether you think
feral cats should live outdoors or not, spaying/neutering (TNR) serves to
reduce the number living on the streets.   Those practicing TNR are part of
the solution.   People who haul feral cats in to be killed at shelters, on
tax payer dollars, could instead be taking them to a spay/neuter clinic.

I have no idea what to make of the differing reports on Caboodle's status
in the time leading up to the raid, but I wish the people who dumped their
pets at a large scale sanctuary might have to justify their actions rather
than just shake their heads and say "but we gave him $150 and trusted
him".  It is sad for those who perhaps were dealing with serious illnesses
such as cancer, etc., but I'd be willing to bet a lot of those people were
just moving and not taking the cats with them.