Possums don't bother me but the coons do. I have trapped and relocated both (not during baby season) because they were raiding my mother's house, threatening her ferals and endangering themselves thanks to the problems they were causing neighbors. They were relocated to a farm I own. I brought the coons over immediately because they were vicious and very likely to hurt themselves trying to escape (can't blame them). They get/carry a lot of diseases including canine distemper which makes people think they are rabid when they are not but they do carry rabies. As noted, they can easily kill cats and dogs, even hunting (read fairly large dogs). They are extremely messy and destructive and can get into about anything. I know, and knew, from personal experience but was not willing to turn the captives over to hunters or to locate them where there wasn't an appropriate environment.

Possums will defend themselves if they have to but are fairly calm...again from personal experience. They are wonderful at insect control and I have watched them under the porch lights on the farm.......inhaling the insects.

Just FYI: The coons are very cute and charming.....not so much with the possums but they are actually darlings in my world.
On Jun 1, 2012, at 8:54 AM, Natalie wrote:

Whenever someone dumps a cat around here, I always see them eating together with possums - it's amazing. The first time I saw it, I was really terrified for the cat!

-----Original Message-----
From: felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org [mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org ] On Behalf Of dlg...@windstream.net
Sent: Friday, June 01, 2012 12:22 AM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] RACCOON GETTING INTO CAT STATION

cats and possums getting along. That was one worry I had about feeding the birds, that the cats could be hurt by them. So far, all my cats have enough good sense to back off when they and the coons come up to eat. Somehow they seem to know they could not win a fight with either one of them. Coons can kill a full grown dog, especially if they get them in enough water to hold their head down until the drown them.
---- Dana Giordano <giordano.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
I feed mine on the ground inside a bin which I have cut out the sides of so they can pass through. I lean boards up Against the sides. It's low perfect for a cat and opossums but apparently too low and awkward for a raccoon to get in there. I put a large deep square plastic food bin inside and a piece of styrofoam on the floor inside to wedge the food bin into one place. Opossums and cats get along fine so I let them share. My main issues end up being ants and slugs which I use food grade diacetemous earth and sandpaper to deter. I also have a rope light out there - dunno if that deters so wanted to mention it. Hope that helps.

Don't Litter, Fix Your Critter! www.Furkids.org

“I am not interested to know whether vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn’t….the pain which it inflicts upon unconsenting animals is the basis of my enmity toward it, and it is to me sufficient justification of the enmity without looking further.” – Mark Twain