Hi,

My bf and I feed around 140 cats in 20+ spots (colonies) each day.  Unless
they are adoptable and you find homes, or work with a rescue to find homes,
their only option is basically death (which is what will most likely happen
if taken to a shelter).  Sadly so many very adoptable cats are euthanized
due to the lack of homes each day.   I have been doing this 8 years
now...it really is a lifetime commitment (as far as the cats' lifetime
goes, anyway), unless you find someone else willing to get involved or take
over.  Unless the cats are friendly/adoptable, I would caution you not to
raise any attention to them such as the media...if unadoptable the best
thing that you can do is ensure they are spayed/neutered, vaccinated & ear
tipped and tend to any medical needs that may arise, in which case you
might need help or advise. Alley Cat Allies website is a great info
resource, and also has "feral friends" by area, they might be able to put
you in touch with someone if there is anyone in your area who has
registered as a contact.   There is also a great Feral Cats yahoo group
where you can get a lot of great input.

Ensuring they are all spayed/neutered is the most important part here, or
there will be more cats with the same "plight".

  I hope you can find someone to assist during your recovery, and that your
surgery goes well--thank you for caring for these cats!  If you can't find
anyone to help feed, you could certainly try contacting rescue groups to
see if anyone nearby can help while you are recovering.

Heather