The cats get free food, shelter and the best care we can provide cats that have to be trapped to be vetted. I can provide worming and some other things without touching them but they are cautious....as they should be. It has kept them alive for a long time and allowed them to have a good life ... not the life I would like for them but the life they are born to. If they are going to eat and enjoy the protection we can give them, they make the trip to the vet. Some have managed to avoid trapping for really long times but I do insist and, eventually, they make that trip.

We don't have a lot of money either so I do understand. Right now there are 6 ferals plus those who wander by and go on. We don't belong to a program either. We just believe this is something we need to do. Otherwise there would be zillions of cats/kittens here and finding homes is almost impossible. I have always had house cats who were feral at one time and consider them the smartest of cats but they are all very independent...even those that came in when they were very little kittens. Unfortunately, most people want cats who are lap cats or less independent or whatever and don't want to spend the time necessary with ferals.

On Aug 28, 2012, at 3:21 PM, dot winkler wrote:

Hi I was reading your mail. What did you mean about "that is the price of free food?" Do you receive food free for feeding the cats? I do not TNR. I don't belong to any program. Just my lone self feeding the 7 cats. (they are all neutered except 2 by someone else) I have spent so much money on them each week. Money I don't have. It is getting to be a bad situation for me.

From: MaiMaiPG <maima...@gmail.com>
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2012 4:11 PM
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] outdoor cats plight

Dozens of years re feeding. We trap, s/n and release. That is the price of free food. I would not feel right about abandoning my wild friends. When I moved to care for my mother, I got neighbors to take care of the one feral at that house. I visited when I could and furnished the food. We have fed ferals at Mom's for as long as I can remember. And calling a shelter will probably result in the death of most of the cats you have been caring for.