I agree about not calling AC if at all possible.  In many counties/cities it is
illegal to feed outdoor cats and it could be that animal control will come pick
them up.  Like she just said, feral cats are not adoptable anyway and AC has no
time or people to work with them to try and tame them (which usually isn't
possible anyway) so they would be killed right away.  AC wouldn't have a choice
but to kill them because they can't have cage space taken up indefinitely by
animals that will not ever be adopted and can't even be handled. I've been
feeding for 11 years.  My very first feral just died a few weeks ago of renal
lymphoma.  I'm not sure of her age but I'd been feeding her for 11 years, so
depending on the situation sometimes it can go on forever.  Course I've lost
some to coyotes, the highway, etc. after just a couple years.  Anyway, the few
times I've been on vacation I bought a huge self feeder for dogs, like the
Petmate things that hold almost a whole bag of food, and left that and it will
last for several days or a week if raccoons and other animals aren't around to
help eat it.  You could do that and try to find someone to check on them and
refill the feeder every few days.  If you have the funds you could pay a pet
sitter to do it.  They would just have to go out every 3 days or so.  Another
thing I would suggest is calling all the local humane societies to see if they
have a volunteer that does TNR.  Just call the rescues, not Animal Control.
You would be surprised at how many people there are that feed ferals.  There's
probably someone in your area doing it that you just don't know.  One other
thing is to contact the national group called Alley Cat Allies.  They have a
network called Feral Friends.  They can tell you if there is anyone in your
area that you can contact to help with the ferals for that six weeks you can't
drive.