The cheapest yet healthiest food I've found is raw that I mix up myself,
using balanced recipes online  (I can send you links and my own recipe, if
you like).   I buy at Whole Foods, so I'm paying about twice what you could
otherwise---and I'm still only paying about half the amount of the best
commercial canned food out there (currently Merrick Before Grain, even
though Merrick has had some complaints about their dog food).   That's
about 70 cents/day/cat, and you could probably be doing it for 35
cents/day/cat.  You'll also save on vet bills for diabetes, etc., and they
won't be as susceptible to urinary problems, which can kill a male in hours
before you even notice it.

A local pet store gives me outdated raw and canned food.  (I refuse the dry
food, as it's so bad for cats.)   If you let them know you're feeding
ferals, one of yours may do the same.

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 4:58 AM, Beth <create_me_...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Talk to local rescues. Our rescue strictly uses Science Diet, so when
> people donate other kinds of food, they give it to volunteers or feral
> feeders. Sometimes it's really high quality food, sometimes not.
> We also have something called Daffy's Pet Soup Kitchen which provides food
> to people who cannot afford it. There are 2 organizations like that in our
> area.
> The best thing to do would be to get friendly with a shelter that can
> provide you with info on resources.
>
> Beth
> Don't Litter, Fix Your Critter! www.Furkids.org <http://www.furkids.org/>
>

>   ------------------------------

----------------------------
Go Get a Life---Go Get a Shelter Animal!

If you can't adopt, then foster "bottle baby" shelter animal, to save their
life.  Contact your local pound for information.
<http://www.laanimalservices.com/volunteer_fostercare.htm>

If you can't bottle feed, foster an older animal, to save their life, and
to free up cage space.

Ask your local animal pound to start saving over 90% of their intake by
implementing the No Kill Equation:
http://www.nokilladvocacycenter.org/shelter-reform/no-kill-equation/<http://www.nokilladvocacycenter.org/>

Here's the current growing list of true No Kill communities:
http://www.nokillhouston.org/no-kill-shelters-in-north-america/

Legislate better animal pound conditions: http://www.rescue50.org

More fun reading: http://www.nokilladvocacycenter.org/shelter-reform/guides/

More fun watching: http://vimeo.com/nokill/videos