I think the chicken would have a different opinion as to whether she is food or
not.  The main thing is that humans are omnivorous.  We can survive quite
nicely without ever eating an animal or even eating animal products.  Killing a
chicken, a cow, a pig, a lamb, a rabbit, a fox for his fur, a fish because he
doesn't have legs and lives in water instead of air is just not right.  I can't
do it because I have a choice and I choose to allow members of other species to
live.  It don't feel that 4H would be a bad idea if the kids were growing giant
tomatoes and pumpkins.  I applaud farming, especially organic farming.  But
raising a  700 pound pig or steer called "Baby" and then winning over a
thousand dollars so Baby can be turned into bacon or steaks is just not my idea
of teaching kids ethics.  What it is is teaching kids that sometimes it's OK to
send your friend off to be slaughtered.  Lots of 4H kids are traumatized when
the final day comes
 and they have to leave their friend and know he or she is going to be killed.
Even the money is not solace.  So what type of lesson do they learn? That they
have just taken part in a ritualized and accepted form of murder.  Think about
how horrified we are if we hear about some country where killing dogs and cats
for food is acceptable.  Why do we consider some animals food and some as
respected companions and family members?  When you think about that, maybe you
won't be a 4H enthusiast any more.

too!