My Annie was not positive for the 4 years her fist owner had her, same vet.
Then when her owner had to go into hospice and she was left alone in her
trailer for 3 weeks, then brought to the vet's office in a cardboard box and
then sent home to my house with 2 new people and 1 new cat, that is when she
tested positive.  I think it was stress that activated the virus.