> I think the SpinTech is the one
> designed by Aldon Amos and now going to be made by Lendrum.

Um, no, Alden Amos makes a different spinner than the SpinTech, although
they're both about the same price. The SpinTech was made by a small firm in
upstate NY, I think, until Lendrum bought the business.

I just bought one of the Amos motor spinners last month and am delighted
with it. It's very versatile (two flyer assemblies: one for wool, one for
cotton/silk; both scotch tension and double-drive; removable legs so that
you can use it free-standing, put it on a table, or hang it from the wall;
lots of extra bobbins). It's very quiet, fast, and smooth. He proofs each
flyer up to 3600 RPM, and then provides several different ratios via flyer
whorls so you can really fine tune the take-up, in addition to using a dial
to set the speed.

It's built from a different philosophy than other motor spinners. AA wasn't
trying to make a portable spinner. He was looking to optimize the
engineering for long spinning sessions, so that it would be extremely fast
and durable for production spinners.

For my purposes, it's perfect. I don't travel much, but can easily knock the
spinner down into small parts and carry it in a large tote bag to meetings
and workshops. It's perfect for plying (I take the legs off and put it on
the coffee table, turn on a video, and lounge on the couch while whizzing
through the bobbins) and it's just fabulous for cotton spinning.

I'm glad to see that people aren't so prejudiced against these tools any
longer. I've been wanting an electric spinner for years and was usually met
with an a gasp of incomprehension from other people who thought it was
nearly sacriligeous or something!

Elaine


-- 
Elaine Benfatto, Cambridge, MA
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.urbanspinner.com/

To stop mail temporarily mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
with the message: set nomail  To restore send: set mail

Reply via email to