>> >I'm glad to see that people aren't so prejudiced against these tools
any >longer. I've been wanting an electric spinner for years and was
usually met with an a gasp of incomprehension from other people who thought
it was nearly sacriligeous or something!

Yah to this........maybe 10yrs ago I would go out to demo's with my new <<
Let's hope that people get in that same frame of mind over knitting
machines. Either manual or electronic. :)

>>One thing I have not seen addressed on this subject is the noise the
spinner
generates. <<
They're electric. They have a motor. The motor isn't shielded as well as
say a car engine is, so there is noise. They make more noise than a treadle
wheel. But, that's not a fair comparison, as treadle wheels are virtually
noiseless if they're maintained properly.

I've used the Ashford electric spinner. IMO, it was noisy. One of the
reasons I passed on buying it. I've owned, and used a Roberta. Noisy. I
have one of the old plastic e spinners that Woodland Woolworks used to
sell. Also noisy.

The noise can be reduced if the e spinner is placed on a thick mat. I have
an old electric typewriter felt mat that I use. The mat is about an inch
thick and absorbs some of the noise, but not all.

Of course, all this talk of noise is subjective. We all have different
tolerance levels for different types of noise. The only way to find out
what your noise tolerance level is, to try one of the e spinners. Make sure
you try it out in a quiet area, so that you can get a true idea of how much
noise the motor produces.
wrnk
d2

To stop mail temporarily mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
with the message: set nomail  To restore send: set mail

Reply via email to