> > it sounds like the
> > only advantage of linked parts is that they're all in one big file.
>
> This is a much bigger advantage than you credit it for. Working
> from one file allows you to
>
> a) switch instantly between part views (much faster than
> opening/saving/closing separate files).
> b) work in score view to update several parts at once. For
> example, if you are changing a 'B' to a 'C', if you have several
> parts playing the same thing, you can copy/paste much more
> quickly because it is all within one file.
> c) make global changes once. This is anything from changing the
> title of the piece to inserting or deleting measures.
>
> You may think of it as "only" a small advantage, but I see it as
> a huge advantage over what we have now.
>
> MM would like you to believe that you can keep you score and
> parts in one file, and they have made great strides in that
> direction. For many projects it probably is possible. All I'm
> saying is that even those projects for which it is not possible
> can still benefit from the linked parts features. Most of mine
> probably fall in the latter category.

I certainly didn't intend to evaluate a feature about which, after all, I
have no hands-on experience; I'm really just looking for information from
those who do.  Your comments are enlightening and helpful to those of us
trying to decide whether to upgrade.

As I currently add lots of cues to parts, and depend heavily on TGTools
Smart Explosion, it seems I would definitely want to create a "parts" score
in Fin2007.  Is there any loss of functionality compared to the old way of
extracting parts?

-Lee