    Von: pcmarijuan.i...@aragon.es
    Datum: 11.04.2012 10:44
    An: <fis@listas.unizar.es>
    Betreff: Re: [Fis] Physics of computing

    Dear John and colleagues,

    Nice to hear that you are OK after that dangerous intoxication
    --our best wishes for your complete recovery!
    About physical information I think that Landauer clarified the
    panorama, at least concerning the relationship between information
    theory and thermodynamics. According to his principle, any
    logically irreversible transformation of classical information is
    necessarily accompanied by the dissipation of at least k T ln(2)
    of heat per lost bit (about 3 x 10 exp -21 Joules at 300 K
    temperature), where obviously k is the Boltzmann constant and T
    the temperature. Recently this principle has been verified
    experimentally (Nature, 8 March 2012, p. 187). By the way, in his
    past message Loet enters "Watts" in a similar expression (?). To
    insist, Entropy and Information are dimensionless and do not
    explicitly incorporate any units... About the quantum management
    of info theory, it is another matter, quite more tricky.

    Beyond that immediate physicality, things get quite obscure as our
    contradictory "meaning" messages witness. The point made by Joseph
    on an overarching logic, is rather difficult to be maintained --at
    least in my small province of the biological signaling pathways.
    Too many logics are used biologically in too many different
    contexts or niches, either molecularly or neuronally... I bet that
they are not susceptible of integration in any logical system. Maybe Inbiosa parties would also disagree with me in this regard.

    best wishes to all,

    ---Pedro

    John Collier escribió:
    Folks,
    I have been in the hospital for almost three weeks due to
    bleeding from warfarin. I had to have three blood transfusions
    and an operation. I am only now getting my strength back. Some of
    my comments, therefore, may be dated.
    "Physical" has a variety of overlapping meanings (a
    Wittgensteinian family resemblence). For example Quine takes the
    physical to be anything accessible to the senses or inferences
    therefrom. Ladyman, Ross, Collier an Spurrett take the physical
    to be the most fundamental laws of our (part of) the universe. I
    did not agree with this, among some other crucial points, so I
    was not a primary author. Information is at least physical in
    both of these senses. Quine's approach might make it entirely
    physical. I prefer to relate it to the causal, which always has
    physical parametres, as far as we know. But there are many ways
    of approaching this issue, and disentangling them will be a major
    advance in foundations of information theory.
    My Best,
    John

Professor John Collier Philosophy, University of KwaZulu-Natal
    Durban 4041 South Africa
    T: +27 (31) 260 3248 / 260 2292
    F: +27 (31) 260 3031
    email: colli...@ukzn.ac.za <mailto:colli...@ukzn.ac.za>>>> On