Hi Christophe,

I completely agree that there is an important distinction between the
communication between attached beams and the semantic communication between
agents.  Like you, I have long been interested in the evolution of biological
signaling systems.  My dissertation research included explorations of the
potential meaning attached to courtship displays by a damselfish species.  In
the decades since I did that work, my view of communication has broadened.
Semantics is context dependent and is manifested internally by the agents
(perception), which makes it very hard to study empirically.  The best I could
do, and I think this may be a general limitation, was to model the hypothetical
semantic content of a signal, naively predict how the perceiver ‘should’
respond to the hypothetically encoded meaning, and judge whether the empirical
data fit my model of the system.  Note that I did my dissertation research at a
time when the leading idea was that  all signals were deceptive devices for
maximizing personal fitness (e.g., Krebs and Davies, 1984).  My observational
and experimental work on this system led me to think more deeply about the
evolution of signaling systems, and I proposed the following:

  *   individuals assess all of the information they perceive, some of which
represents signals expressed by other individuals
  *   far more information about individuals can be useful than the information
‘packaged’ in a signal
  *   individuals signal to other individuals in unconventional ways, in
addition to conventional ways (evolved signaling systems)
  *   evolved, codified kinds of signals generally started as one of those
unconventional kinds of signals that conferred fitness gains for both the
  *   such useful signals tend to persist and they have an opportunity for
adaptive fine-tuning, morphological integration (e.g., a color patch used for
display), and amplification
  *   I think these become the classical animal signaling systems we are so
familiar with

So, for me, codified semantic signals are embedded in, and deeply connected to,
a sea of information about other individuals.  Such signals may be anywhere
along a spectrum from simple information transfer (similar to the beams) to
semantically-based language.  Semantics is a fascinating and important target
of study, but I think limiting our terminology to that domain misleadingly
suggests that it is more disconnected from less formalized modes of
communication than it really is.  I also think it suggests that semantic
communication is more disconnected from the universal physico-chemical laws
than it really is.  I prefer to think of semantic communication as a subset of
all communication, and I see value in understanding the information transfer
between connected beams as sharing some fundamental similarities to semantic
communication.

Regards,

Guy

On Feb 14, 2018, at 3:05 PM, Christophe Menant