Dear Javier and Dear Stan,

Javier:

1. I very much agree with you as follows:

“I think that only signals can be transmitted, not information. Information can
only be gained by an observer (a self-referential system) that draws a
distinction.”

A Chinese scholar Dongsheng Miao’s argument is: There is no information can
exists without carrier, i.e. No naked can exists.

I think both of you two are expressing a principle of information science.

2. According to Linguistics, the relationship between language and
communication is:

Language is a tool of communication about information.

Of course, this is only limited to the human atmosphere. So I think that all
(Human) Semiotics ((Human) Linguistics), (Human) Communication Study should be
the subdisciplines of Human Informatics.

Dear Xueshan,

Thanks for sharing your interesting remarks and references. I think no one
really wants to deny the crucial role the language metaphor has played in the
thinking of communication and information models. But I believe the crucial
point is to distinguish between language and communication. Language is for us
humans the main communication medium, though not the only one. We tend to
describe other communication media in society and nature by mapping the
language-like characteristics they have. This has been useful and sucessful so
far. But pushing the language metaphor too far is showing its analytical
limits. I think we need to think of a transdisciplinary theory of communication
media. On the other hand, I agree with you that we need to check the uses of
the concepts of signal and information. I think that only signals can be
transmitted, not information. Information can only be gained by an observer (a
self-referential system) that draws a distinction.

Best,

Javier

Stan:

According to Peirce, language is only one of the systematic signs. Here we
consider sign, signal, symbol as the same thing. So, more precisely in my
opinion:

{signal {information}},   or   {substrate {signal {information}}}

But not

{language {signal {information}}}

If you remember, in our previous discussions, I much appreciate the

The hierarchy idea is very important to our study which is initially introduced
by Pedro, Nikhil and you.

Xueshan -- I think one can condense some of your insights hierarchically, as:

In a system having language, information seemingly may be obtained in other
ways as well. It would be a conceptually broader category. Thus (using the
compositional hierarchy):

        [information [language [signal]]]

Meaning that, when a system has language, all information will be understood or
construed by way of linguistic constructs.

(Here I am using ‘signal’ as being more specific than Peirce’s ‘sign’, where:

        [sign [information [...]]] )

Then, more dynamically (using the subsumptive hierarchy):

        {language {signal {information}}}

Information in a languaged system is derived by way linguistic formations, so
that, even though it is an extremely broad category, information (informing)
only emerges by way of linguistically informed transformations.

STAN

Best wishes to all,

Xueshan

El feb 10, 2018 5:23 AM, "Xueshan Yan" <y...@pku.edu.cn