Here cognitive means embodied and should include all sensors, actuators, memory
and information processing mechanisms. As in biology thre are different kinds
of organisms there are also different kinds of “languages”. There are small
languages communicated in relatively simple ways between simple agents (like
cells) and big languages used by complex agents like humans.

Why not?

Best wishes,
Gordana

On 2018-02-13, 06:33, "Fis on behalf of Terrence W. DEACON"
<fis-boun...@listas.unizar.es<mailto:fis-boun...@listas.unizar.es> on behalf of
dea...@berkeley.edu<mailto:dea...@berkeley.edu>> wrote:

To claim that:

"without a language, no communication would be possible"

one must be using the term "language" in a highly metaphoric sense.

Is scent marking a language?
Music?
Sexual displays, like a peacock's tail?
How about a smile or frown?
Is the pattern of colors of a flower that attracts bees a language?
Was the evolution of language in humans just more of the same, not
something distinct from a dog's bark?
When a person is depressed, their way of walking often communicates
this fact to others; so is this slight modification of posture part of
a language?
If I get the hiccups after eating is this part of a language that
communicates my indigestion?

Is this usage of the term 'language' simply referring to the necessity
of a shared medium of communication? Is it possible to develop a
general theory of information by simply failing to make distinctions?

― Terry

On 2/12/18, Sungchul Ji