On 6/13/06, Matt Mc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Not to worry Mark others were helpful. No need to commit yourself.LOL

Sorry if you felt like I was attacking you personally -- the remark
about the link vs email to have it sent off-list was genuinely meant
to help, you and others. Even if you had posted a link, I wouldn't
have been able to help you because I don't have Flash in my workflow
and therefore can't open .flas. The rest was to explain the rationale
(which was clearly not about you) behind my opinion that posting a
link is generally more likely to yield a result, and why I wouldn't
even consider to ever again go for "mail me and I'll send it to you"
requests. Nothing personal, just some experiences I had made on other
occasions.
That's why I called it a "*general* advise", and the latter part a
"rant" about off-list behaviour i had "experienced in the past". Trust
me, if I wanted to get personal, I'd make that quite clear.

Why don't you just post a link?

Also, even though you probably don't want to take any advise from me,
since I'm the bad guy who explained why he doesn't go for off-list
help if he can avoid it, more advice that also applies to others but
which I will direct at you, in this case:
You said you wanted to get at least one night of sleep this week.
Sleep. Take the time to sleep a couple of hours straight. Getting
stuff done, especially things that you need to be able to focus on, is
not proportional to the number of waking hours you throw at it. You'll
only miss obvious things. You'll also get frustrated quickly, and,
maybe, take things personally when they're not intended that way.

Mark

GIve me a link to a better forum for my question if you have one.

When I parsed out the info it was hard to get an answer. So I spent some time
to make a neat package so if someone did want to help I could send it and it
would be as clean as possible.

Sorry if I still don't meet your standards of list behavior.

Bottom line is if someone gets stuck they are going to find help where they
can. To tell you the truth I would post just about any place to be able to get
an answer just so I can go to sleep one night this week.

Some of us are not action scripting for fun. We are working in the real world,
I am a designer I am learning flash and can make my way around the flash design
environment just fine.

If I knew enough about action scripting not to need help (noob) than I wouldn't
really need this list now would I.

Also if the Noob list wasn't so Noob I could get my problem solved their
without getting spurned by an elitist.

The truth about this board is that most people are helpfull and those are the
people that I have come in contact with. Well untill Mark made his post.

Have a Nice Day Mark.

Matthew

Mark Winterhalder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: On 6/13/06, Merrill, Jason  wrote:
> Perfect example of what we are talking about:

While we're at it, a general piece of advice:

"I have the files all neatly bundled up in a zip file. I have a readme
describing my problem I have checked all my links (twice) to make sure
they all work.
send me an email [EMAIL PROTECTED] and I will send you the
files if you think you are a real ninja."

The first part looks pretty good, with a readme and everything zipped
neatly together. Bonus points for comments in the code, traces where
they could be helpful with extra comments what they trace. Where it
goes wrong is when it gets to the emailing part -- I don't know how
others feel about this, but for me the threshold is /much/ higher than
simply downloading a linked zip.
The reason for this is that I would feel like I would be making a
commitment, before even knowing what I was getting myself into. Been
there, done that -- what I got was the most horrible code I had ever
seen, ripped somewhere off the web with variable names in a language
neither me nor the help-seeker could understand, _root and on(
clipEvent ) all over it. After a while I figured it was easier to
rewrite it, which took me only half an hour but didn't save me from
dozens of follow up questions, some of which I had already answered,
others were unrelated, and the rest he answered himself only minutes
after sending.
So, just post a link. If somebody wants to help s/he will look at it
and let you know if there is a solution. A link also means I can look
into it when I come across it and have a few minutes to spare, instead
of waiting for a reply that might come the next day when I don't have
the time.

Since I'm already ranting about off-list issues, some other things I
have encountered in the past:
Please, if you seek help, don't take threads off-list unless asked.
Somebody suggesting something here most likely doesn't want to be your
personal help desk from then on, not by mail, and definitely not via
IM (even if we have the same mother-tongue that doesn't mean you're my
new best friend, it's really not that an uncommon language, thank
you). Keep it on the list. Others will read it, too, and might be able
to help better or quicker, plus if somebody actually bothers to search
the archives it will show up. It's a win-win for everybody involved.

Mark

--
http://snafoo.org/

key: 1BD689C0 (3801 6F51 4810 C674 1491 ADE7 D8F6 0203 1BD6 89C0)