I like the way Steven split this into "child's toy" and "adult's toy"
because at heart: yes, Flash is indeed a toy. But like in all cases of
everything, everywhere, things do need to grow. This big jump has been
at the expense of the easy-of-use aspect of Flash, just as the
introduction of Filters and Blend Modes were at the expense of
efficiency. All children grow albeit at different rates, but they must
grow if they want to survive. To keep the toy metaphor going, Lego
started with a really simple ideal, and every piece fitted into every
other. You could take multiple sets of Lego and just stick them all
together in random fun. And then it got complex: things like Lego
Technics came about, and the pieces got more complex. You could still
do all the old stuff, but it took more doing and the previous versions
still existed.

I think Barry has a good point. If you do just like it as it is, use
that version. Use AS2, for as long as it survives, and for as long as
it takes to make the move. But if you want to grow, make the move. As
a designer with little programming knowledge, I was terrified of the
move. But the things being done with AS3 were way to cool.

Hopefully, with the next release, Adobe will make things easier. This
is the first release of the new VM and has a lot of things that can be
improved. But it's opened a massive world online of really powerful
tools and finally an engine efficient enough to drive some incredible
websites. Ease of use is important, but I'd be disappointed if
innovation and power took a back seat to it. Learn.... grow.... every
other area of your life requires you to; why do you expect the web to
be different?

2008/7/17 elibol <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> The only one that makes any sense is #2, and that is being addressed with
> Loader.unloadAndStop(), except for the most part I'm kind of wary about
> having the Loader class tear my loaded swfs a new one. I kind of agree with
> Sacks when he more subtly articulates that this is for noobs. I was
> expecting charges more along the lines of "Remove auto-declare stage
> instances and ever having to declare stage instances and just use
> getChildByName()." - but I guess that would be a charge against the Flash.
>
> Thats my two cents.

> On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 10:46 PM, Kerry Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
>> Steven Sacks wrote:
>>
>> > Flash used to be a toy, and, up until Flash 8, it still could be....The
>> reason
>> > you see so much BAD Flash is because it was SO EASY to use for even non
>> > programmers.
>>
>> Steven has a point (even though I cut most of his post). Remember the days
>> when Flash's nickname was "Skip-intro"?
>>
>> The Internet has changed, and will continue to change. It has gotten more
>> sophisticated. Browsers have gotten more sophisticated. Users have gotten
>> more sophisticated. To keep Flash/Flex as a premier Web development tool,
>> it
>> has to get more sophisticated, and its users must get more sophisticated.
>>
>> Having said that, I'd like to see Flash have drag-and-drop behaviors like
>> Director has. In its first decade or so, Director followed a similar path
>> as
>> Flash. It started out as a simple animation tool with an easy-to-use
>> language, and developed into a sophisticated programmer's tool. The
>> introduction of drag-and-drop behaviors brought it back into the realm of
>> the designer, while remaining a sophisticated programmer's tool.
>>
>> Of course, Macromedia made a number of blunders with Director/Shockwave
>> that, I hope, will not be repeated by Adobe on Flash. Making it more
>> sophisticated was not one of those blunders, though.
>>
>> Cordially,
>>
>> Kerry Thompson

Yet another Random Lines
More usable than ever!