Michael,

Haven't you read my reply to one of your prev. questions?
Well, let me quote it here again:
===
Subject: Re: [Flashcoders] my component not instancing properly on  timeline

It seems your problem is similar to one I had with my components.
The matter is that, unlike their behavior in AS2, in AS3 (CS3)
components setters of  [Inspectable] parameters are called lo-o-ong
AFTER constructor

As described here
 http://www.bit-101.com/blog/?p=1181
So, even if I set my init() as listener for ADDED_TO_STAGE event...
it's still before setters.

for now, I found a solution:
I put my init() in ENTER_FRAME listener and then remove this listener :-)
This means that listeners are called before 1st  ENTER_FRAME event.
Perhaps my solution isn't too elegant.... but it works :-)

Also, be sure to duplicate default values for your parameters :-)
===

Note that the above solution is intended to use with sprite-based components.
Perhaps if you subclass UIComponent, the situation with setters is
better... perhaps :-)

On 2/18/09, Muzak <p.ginnebe...@telenet.be> wrote:
>> You can either make a component designed for the
>> stage OR for instancing through code?
>
> Not really, that's not what it says.
> Just says that you can't (and IMO should never have to) pass arguments to
> the constructor when dropped on stage.
>
> If you want "talk" to your component both through AS and when on stage, use
> [Inspectable] getter/setters
>
> class MyComp {
>
>     [Inspectable]
>     public function get symbolName():String {
>         return _symbolName
>     }
>     public function set symbolName(value:String):void {
>         _symbolName = value;
>         // do stuff with value
>     }
> }