David Megginson wrote:

Lee Elliott writes:

> Ships sounds like a great idea and shouldn't be too difficult to
> implement (not that I'm volunteering).  Someone mentioned carrier
> landings recently didn't they?  :)

That's harder -- we'll have to do some work to make sure that the
planes on the carrier move when the carrier itself moves -- otherwise,
it will just slip out from under the planes on its deck.

It's even harder than that (at least for American carriers):

1) Arresting hook dynamics.
2) 4 - Arresting cables on the landing deck.
3) Arresting forces into the FDM.
4) FLOLS/IFLOLS systems (the ball).
5) Catapult launches. (Wouldn't be much fun if you can't get back in the air).
6) ACLS indicators.

And for the true test of a Carrier pilot:

7) Carrier pitch, roll, and heave with different sea states.
8) Carrier burble (a form of turbulence aft of the ship).

Relating as well, the U.S. Navy commissioned its latest Aircraft Carrier
the USS Ronald Reagan CVN 76 http://www.news.navy.mil/view_photos.asp.

--
Russ

Conway's Law: "The structure of a system tends to mirror the
structure of the group producing it."
     -- Mel Conway Datamation (1968)