Mathias Fröhlich writes:

> To implement that efficient, I think that a FGInterface or some class in  that
> area should cache this information and should provide an interface that could
> easily used to query some properties of the ground in the area of the
> aircraft.
>
> I wanted to start with code which can better follow the ground level in the
> area of the aircraft. Also I think it is interresting to distinguish
> different load capacities of solid ground. Or/and different ground types like
> asphalt, grass or water.

This should be doable using the current hitlist mechanism
and the current PLib code   --untested but something like--

  ssgEntity *entity_hit = hitlist -> get_entity( active_hit_idx );

  if (entity_hit && entity_hit -> isAKindOf ( ssgLeaf () ) )
  {
    ssgState *st = ((ssgLeaf *)entity_hit) -> state;
    if ( st != NULL && st -> isAKindOf ( ssgTypeSimpleState () ) )
    {
      ssgSimpleState *ss = (ssgSimpleState *) st ;
      char *tfname = ss -> getTextureFilename () ;

      ///  !!! do something based on texture filename
    }
  }

HTH

Norman