On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 22:50:40 +0100
 "Vivian Meazza" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hmm, bolted? Don't forget that the cat force is adjusted for the aircraft type and launch weight.

It would have to be modelled as a spring
force acting on the nose gear to be correct. Even that's not quite good enough, since on real cat shots the gear is artificially compressed to keep the nose from tipping backwards during the shot.

I thought initially that a spring was not the way to go, but I think you are picturing a spring that (figuratively) goes from the bow of the ship to the nose gear, no? This sounds plausible, but it depends on how the catapult works. Does it maintain pressure along the entire throw length of the catapult? In this case, a spring is wrong.

And arrestor wires have their own complexities. They need to be "tuned" to the landing aircraft weight to produce the right amount of deceleration. This is a manual process on a real carrier, but we'd have to fake it somehow.

Do we need to model that? We know the mass of the aircraft, just apply a
suitable decelerating force at the hook attachment point if the hook engages a wire.

Yep.

Jon