On Donnerstag, 8. Juli 2004 09:50, Vivian Meazza wrote:
> The volume of the steam reservoirs are large in comparison with the volume
> of the cat cylinder, so there is only a slight drop in steam pressure over
> the stroke. As far as simulation is concerned, the cat force could be
> considered to remain constant over the whole of the stroke.
Neglecting fluid mechanical effects.
But that is most likely sufficient ...

I am not sure, but I believe that I have read that newer cats are driven by
magnetic fields. Something like magnetic monorail trains or eddy current
brakes work.
Is this true?

But even this ones will produce a constant force. So this is really the same.

> So for the cat we apply a suitable force at the cat attachment point, and
> for the arrester wires at the hook attachment point, remembering that there
> are vertical as well as horizontal components.
>
> Is that enough detail for some initial design? I can dig around in my
> memory some more, or do some more research if you need it.

If you have some interresting references I would be interrested too!

I have a picture in my head that at least the F14 and F18 have a launch bar in
front of the strut and a wire behind the strut. Both together are able to
pull the nose gear down to maximum compression, providing a negative angle of
attack while the aircraft is pushed by the cat. Then when the cat is
decoupled the now heavy compressed nose gear spring will help the aircraft to
fast increase the angle of attack and produce enough lift to stay in air.

Are there different cats for different aircraft on the same carrier?

     Greetings

          Mathias

--
Mathias Fröhlich, email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]