Jon Berndt wrote

> Sent: 08 July 2004 13:29
> To: FlightGear developers discussions
> Subject: RE: [Flightgear-devel] status of aircraft carrier
>

> > In my day they consisted of a pulley system forcing hydraulic fluid
> > through orifices. These orifices were adjusted to provide the right
> > decelerating force for each aircraft type.
> >
> > I seem to recall that a disk brake system was proposed. I
> don't think
> > that this was implemented in Royal Navy carriers, but may have been
> > for modern US carriers.
>
> An aircraft, upon landing on a carrier, does not appear to
> slip backwards at all under the force of the arresting wire.
> It seems like a one-way spring.

A one way spring - a new concept in physics :-). Perhaps more like a one way
damper on a car suspension.

Seriously - did you mean a linear spring where the force that stretches the
spring is in direct proportion to the amount of stretch? That would not be
quite correct - the arresting force was constant in the first part of the
pull-out, and I think, but can't quite remember, that the orifices closed
towards the end of the pull-out to provide a soft stop.

There was enough tension in the system just to impart a little rearward
motion to the aircraft. Thus was enough to disengage the wire from the hook,
which was then raised, and the aircraft was free to taxi clear.

Regards

Vivian