On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 14:03:14 +0100
 "Vivian Meazza" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Jon Berndt wrote

Sent: 08 July 2004 13:29
To: FlightGear developers discussions
Subject: RE: [Flightgear-devel] status of aircraft carrier

> In my day they consisted of a pulley system forcing hydraulic fluid > through orifices. These orifices were adjusted to provide the right > decelerating force for each aircraft type.
>
> I seem to recall that a disk brake system was proposed. I don't think > that this was implemented in Royal Navy carriers, but may have been > for modern US carriers.

An aircraft, upon landing on a carrier, does not appear to slip backwards at all under the force of the arresting wire. It seems like a one-way spring.

A one way spring - a new concept in physics :-). Perhaps more like a one way damper on a car suspension.

Seriously - did you mean a linear spring where the force that stretches the
spring is in direct proportion to the amount of stretch? That would not be
quite correct - the arresting force was constant in the first part of the
pull-out, and I think, but can't quite remember, that the orifices closed
towards the end of the pull-out to provide a soft stop.

I thought about using a damper, too, but qualitatively that didn't seem right, either. A spring/damper could probably be made to feel "close enough".

Jon